Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day!

I know that "going green" is trendy and that a lot of company's are taking advantage of a good thing just to try and sell more to all of us consumers but...

"Going personally green is a bet, nothing more or less, though it’s one we probably all should make, even if the odds of it paying off aren’t great. Sometimes you have to act as if acting will make a difference, even when you can’t prove that it will. That, after all, was precisely what happened in Communist Czechoslovakia and Poland, when a handful of individuals like Vaclav Havel and Adam Michnik resolved that they would simply conduct their lives “as if” they lived in a free society. That improbable bet created a tiny space of liberty that, in time, expanded to take in, and then help take down, the whole of the Eastern bloc." Michael Pollan
I say trendy "Green" is better then no "Green" at all!

Take some time at look at the sites and post below they have great thoughts and ideas!

Here is a good link to a website with fun and useful info



What about this is not worth a few changes?

Or these?

7 comments:

AnneMarie said...

Happy Earth Day to you too Maren!

will said...

The bad things about trendy concern is that it can sucker people into activities and purchases that don't help anything. What's worse, trends expire and being green to be cute is not the same as changing your lifestyle out of respect for creation and all who depend on it.

The good thing about trendy concern is, as you say, it is at least some form of concern at all. Let's just hope the trend turns into a lifestyle.

Here's to our earth.

{Erica} said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
{Erica} said...

maren-
yes you are right....stephan and christian are brothers...duh...sorry about that. And if you look at buffy's blog she posted pics about the house they redid and it was the petries house...but I just checked and it was matt and marci jones' old house...wow...my info is all mixed up! Thanks for the clarification.

and no you totally didn't offend in your post...in fact i think it reiterated what I was trying to say...to have people do their best to be "green" regardless of it being trendy or not. Truly I am sick of celebrities grasping onto being "green" (granted there are some that actually do live green) merely to have a better rapport with fans...it just kills me. I am with you and Anna when you say trendy or not, being green is better than not :)

David and Kris Taylor said...

Anything is better than nothing. It all starts somewhere.

D.

Anna said...

Liked that video... I think if more people got out and saw what a beautiful world we have they would be more willing to change their lifestyles.

Rach said...

I LOVE that earth photo!