Friday, March 14, 2008

A Confession and a Question.




Confession: I am lazy. There I have said what most of you have known for a while. (Gavin you are never to use this information against me in a heated discussion. It will only make me mad, even if I know you are right.)


Question: How do you get around or over the Lazy "Bump" in the road of things you want to do? For instance, I like the Gym when I am there I enjoy the workout. Getting to the gym is near impossible for me and the thought of having to get ready twice or get up early so I only get ready once, well...I never get to the gym.


I want to cook better meals that are healthy for my family and more earth conscious, but, Stoffer's Lasagna is good and easy. (I am getting better at this one, but, I certainly don't grow my own veggies)


I am not as lazy as I once was. My house is clean except for children's toys which is a loosing battle until they go to bed, as long as I don't get to far behind my dishes get cleaned, Etc. I am however, not as good as I could be. So how do you do it? Get yourself to do something that you don't like, don't want to do?

11 comments:

will said...

Maren, I've taken this problem on as a condition that affects my whole life. "Why don't I do what I want to do?" St. Paul gives his own answer to that question but it doesn't satisfy me.

I've been seeing if I can change this about myself for a few years now. I've made some improvement, but it is incredible how stuck I still am.

The good old answer is will power: just do it.

That usually lasts a good 5 minutes.

AnneMarie said...

I have to agree with Will, Just Do It. I generally tend toward the lazy side, but then my OCD self can't stand any mess. I have learned to force myself to do things and after a few times it's not so contrary (like the gym). When I'm stuck in a lazy rut I point out to myself that if keeping this house clean, cooking, keeping the yard, etc. were my job I wouldn't hesitate- so I imagine that it's my job that I will get fired from if I don't get going. Hope that's a little helpful.

Anna said...

I agree with Will and Annemarie...just do it...but also think there is more to it than that.
We all have our things we despise the most (me=laundry, doing my hair, cleaning the bathroom).
As for the gym...maybe it isn't the best option for you. If I had to drag my kids somewhere and add two more hours on to my work out routine I promise you I would never do it. So instead I run on the treadmill, do yoga to video's, weights to stuff I've downloaded off the internet, go for walks and bike rides, etc. That might not work for some and going to the gym is far less complicated. I think you have to ask yourself. 1. Do I want to work out badly enough. 2. What will the benefits be to working out? 3. What way can I work out that will be the least pain in the butt to me..in other words what is it that will allow me to actually do it.
I think we all are lazy in our own special way, but if something bugs you bad enough you will end up doing it.
Also, just a little food for thought. I heard someone on NPR once talking about will power. Self will or will power is strong stuff. Will power usually wins out. If will power didn't win we would all have spotless houses, perfect bodies, etc. For example, you see an entire chocolate cake and you know it is not a good idea to eat the entire thing or just a large piece. YOu know it isn't good for you. You know you will feel sick after. YOu know you will feel guilty. And yet you really want it so you ignor rational thought and let your will power take over. YOu eat it anyway, to hell with the consequences. I thought that was pretty interesting take on will power. It makes more sense. When we do something we know isn't in our best interest and goes against what we know to be the right thing it is because we actually really want it and are able to overcome rational thought. In your case you know all the benefits of exercise would be good for you, but your self will is winning. Your inner self doesn't want the hassle and is winning.

will said...

I was actually being facetious with my "just do it" recommendation (which is why I noted that it is at best a temporary quick-fix). Though this is how I continually check off many of the boxes on life's daily check-list, I think it is a painful way to live.

I'm tired of working against myself and life and am trying to figure out how to flow with life and who I am. It's amazing how many contrary patterns I've found in my behavior that tie me in knots. I'm trying to strengthen the healthy ones and allow the sick ones to evaporate. As I understand it Christ's atonement changes us, not just gives us the "gumption" to fight our evil old selves day-in day-out.

It's a hell of a big job. Meanwhile, I still "just do it" all too often, but if that requires resistance and a battle, I don't recommend it as any way to enjoy the present, nor do I see it as the path to God-like living where "thy dominion shall be an everlasting dominion, and without compulsory means it shall flow unto thee forever and ever" (D&C 121).

elizabeth kartchner said...

Maren,
I know what you mean about what to do with odd shaped albums. I keep all my mini albums in a cute basket in my scrap room to look through. The older ones I store in a photo safe box in the closet.

:)

Have a great weekend!

David and Kris Taylor said...

I agree with "just do it."

The thing that may make "doing it' work better is the old mountain-climbing strategy: you drag yourself up the first switchback on the trail to the Y and say, "That was brutal." But then you turn around and look at the view. That recharges your batteries and gives you the strength to go on. You repeat the process at each switchback until you reach the top.

So when you have washed the dishes and straightened the kitchen, or cleaned the bathroom, step back and take a look at how nice it looks. It will be salve for your soul and will give you the will to do more.

Okay, go ahead and hire a maid.

D.

David and Kris Taylor said...

Okay Marigold, Here is what I did whilst I was in the midst of child rearing... (and knowing just how twin-like we are...) I hope this might work for you. I picked one thing ONLY one thing that was a must get done each day. For instance today I will thoroughly clean the living room or today its the master bath or today I will scrub all the gunk off the highchair. Any way, When I accomplished thet one thing I could say..I accomplished my goal for that day.
Being a Mom and a stay at home wife seems like such an easy job, HOWEVER, for Mom's at home its not like going to the office and following the days appointment book. It's like a juggling act. You try to keep every thing going and oops somebody needs a ride here or a broken arm or a split lip or a sick child or two sick kids or milk splattered all over the place or the washer overflows or any number of a myriad things. So if you accomplish that one thing by say 4:oo o'clock each day and then deal with everything else then I think you're doing just fine. Some things are a must do each day type of thing that just automatically gets done on a daily basis i.e. bed making, bathing etc. I also try to never have anything sitting in the sink...kids, dishes, or Winnie. With a dishwasher you can always give a quick rinse and stuff it in there. You can call me for further advice and info which I dispense freely and abundantly. Hugs, Mom

David and Kris Taylor said...

p.s. I thought of a few more quick tricks...If you have the vacuum sitting in the living room it looks like you were just about to start the job and anyone who comes will know they are keeping you from your very important task.
Another philosophy I lived by was 'a little is better than none at all.' So if I had you kids help I figured a little was better than nothing...you didn't move furniture when you swept and maybe the room wasn't perfectly picked up but a little was better than nothing...Get those kids working!!!
Finn is perfectly capable of doing some jobs. Trash collecting is a good one and he should be responsible to put all his toys away when he is thru playing with them...Whew, sorry, Mom

will said...

I second your mom's advice. Take on smaller, focused tasks and realize that they are enough.

I work best when I am less ambitious and more focused.

millie said...

I could have posted these same questions and confessions. I have been pleased with my slow improvements on keeping the house cleaner...but sometimes it is just straight and not really clean. Which isn't necessarily bad, unless it has just been straight for a long time. I also have spaces and rooms that still need some organizing and or tlc. I want to start a garden. I haven't done any real physical activity since my birthday back in November. And I have projects in my head that I think would be great. I need help too.

Sometimes for cleaning I will set a timer, or have one task like your mom suggested. When the timer is up, I''m done. Sometimes I push a little longer, or a lot longer and it was just a matter of getting started. Sometimes when I hear the beep i am happy to stop.

I also think you don't need to grow your own veggies. Instead look up farmer's markets in your area. The veggies and fruit are delish, and it is a nice sense of community. (Kind of like going to the a public library.)

Good luck with the gym. I'm no help there.

AnneMarie said...

I love your Mom's advice. As I read I realized I do that one project a day thing already, it helps me feel better at the end of the day that I at least did one big thing and I have found that sometimes doing that one project gives me the push I need to do another. Also, if I don't do the "one a day" it all starts to really add up and I am faced with a huge amount of stuff to get done.
I also like Millie's solution for the garden. I don't think we need to heap another "should" on our list of endless things to do. If you enjoy it and it relaxes you or makes you happy great, but don't make a garden another thing to feel guilty about if you're not doing one.